WHAT IS CYSTISTAT®?
Cystistat® is a medical device for the temporary replacement of the glycosaminoglycan (GAG) layer in the bladder.
Cystistat® is instilled into the bladder to alleviate symptoms associated with cystitis.
Cystistat® is a sterile sodium hyaluronate solution containing 40 mg/50 mL sodium hyaluronate. This sterile solution is used for instillation into the bladder.
Cystistat® contains a highly purified sodium salt of hyaluronic acid (HA) produced by fermentation. HA plays a vital role in extracellular matrix homeostasis, wound healing, and tissue regeneration.10
Cystistat® has a wide range of published papers supporting the treatment of cystitis.
- Bladder Pain Syndrome / Interstitial Cystitis (BPS/IC) 1
- Recurrent Bacterial Cystitis (RBC) by the protection of the urothelium 11, 12
- Radiation-induced cystitis (RIC) 5, 13, 14
The site of action of Cystistat® is the urothelium.
Cystistat® has been developed to temporarily replenish the deficient GAG layer on the bladder epithelium. It has a double effect:
- Cystistat® has a barrier effect (primary) 15Extracted from Moreland publication which is based on the osteoarthritis model 16
- Cystistat® also has a regenerative role (secondary effect) 17In the urothelium, HA is predominantly found at the basal cell membrane 17Cystistat® restores a good environment for cell proliferation 17Cystistat® has a regenerative role of the GAG layer in the bladder and can provide a chance to cure* 1,18* However, late recurrences surpassing the observation period cannot be excluded. 50 % of the patients were free of bladder symptom after primary therapy of Cystistat® without any further therapy during the 5 year follow-up 1
CONTACT US TODAY